One of our family’s favorite books has always been “Apple Farmer Annie” by Monica Wellington. We read this book every year in the early Fall. It’s a family book tradition. This colorfully illustrated picture book is the simple story of how Annie – the apple farmer – grows apples in her orchard and uses them to make sweet apple cider, delicious smooth applesauce, muffins, cakes and pies. Included in the back of the book are recipes for some of these delicacies.
We grow apples too. We might not have as many apple trees as Annie but this year we picked 6 large boxes of Fuji, Golden Delicious and Gala apples. After making our usual apple cider, apple pies, an apple crisp and 3 batches of apple sauce, we decided to give Annie’s Applesauce Cake recipe a whirl. It was fantastic!
Picking the apples, using a fun gadget to peel the apples for applesauce and then helping to make the cake are fun food activities for the kids. My kids, who are normally pretty indifferent to applesauce, absolutely love the applesauce we make. I firmly believe that they love our applesauce best because they have been involved in the entire process of it’s creation. It’s an amazing thing to grow your own food.
- 1/2 c. butter
- 3/4 c. sucanat
- 1/4 c. real maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 c. spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 c. applesauce
- 2/3 c. walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together butter, sucanat and maple syrup in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and beat well with hand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Add to creamed mixture alternating with the apple sauce, beating after each addition and blending well.
- Stir in chopped nuts.
- NOTE: The original recipe calls for pouring the batter into a 9-inch greased tube pan. Instead, we use a 13.5 by 9.5-inch baking dish which makes a sheet cake rather than a bundt cake. This will also change the cooking time. We generally bake our cake for 17 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve with vanilla or caramel ice cream.